Biomedical Summer Training and Engagement Program
About The Program
UW-BioSTEP is a summer research program focused on engaging undergraduate students currently enrolled in WA state in hands-on biomedical research at the University of Washington. Selected applicants will spend 10 weeks in a laboratory setting working on important biomedical questions, will be exposed to science communication strategies in biomedical research, and will present their findings at the UW Undergraduate Symposium at the end of the summer program. We invite all eligible students to apply including those from Pacific Northwest Tribal Nations and other historically marginalized communities in our state.
UW-BioSTEP participants benefit from hands-on research experience and close mentorship. They also receive a generous stipend inclusive of travel and food allowance and paid housing accommodations (typically a student dormitory or other shared living space on or near campus) if needed. Stipends are generally split in two payment installments with the first payment by the end of June and the second payment released by the end of July.
Program dates are June 17 – August 16, 2024. Applicants must be able to commit to these dates in order to apply and be considered for acceptance into the Program.
- Outside of research and the lab, students will benefit from a science communication training course.
- Participating faculty are within the Department of Microbiology and the Department of Pharmacology.
- Explore the sights of Seattle and experience the city culture. For more information, visit UW’s Visitor Center
UW-BioSTEP Scholars Criteria
Applicants for the UW BioSTEP must meet these two criteria:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at a university or college in the state of Washington.
- Looking to gain hands-on research experience in areas of cellular and molecular pharmacology and/or microbiology.
How to Apply:
Please email a combined pdf application of the following to email@example.com by Friday, March 15, 2024. Please put UW-BioSTEP Application in the subject line of the email.
- Statement of Purpose: What experiences (e.g., personal life, science classes, training) have led to your interest in biomedical research? How would being a BioSTEP Scholar further your goals? (1-2 pages).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for 3 references
Application deadline is March 15, 2024
UW-BioSTEP welcomes applications from all members of communities within WA state including those who are underrepresented in sciences due to factors including (but not limited to) race, ethnicity, mental or physical disability, socioeconomic background, 1st generation college student status, DACA recipients, sexual orientation, or gender identity.